Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Patch from Samsung to Verizon?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times

Patch from Samsung to Verizon?

Ok, so I have been in Kandahar for a month or so. My SGS3 with a local provider will make and receive calls great when coverage is there. My problem is, I can only seem to text local here not back to the US, or get email and no Google Talk. I went to the shop where I got my card here, they told me that Verizon needed to unlock my phone. I know it is unlocked but I made the call home, Verizon told me what I already knew. I went back into the store, once again, next they said Verizon needed to unlock my APN? I called again, finally I got a response from Verizon saying that Samsung needs to release the patch so Verizon can unlock it. If anyone knows of such a APN patch I would greatly appreciate it. My lap top screen got cracked during a patrol so doing all of this and email is quite the B!tch! I have always had success with this forum and hope it will continue. Once I send my lap top back home to be warrantied, I will not have any way of getting the usual business done for at least a month. I'm trying to hold off on the lap top until I can get my phone fully functional. Thanks for your help. Please remember, I am atleast 8 1/2 hours ahead of you, so response time will be delayed.

Member #
    Liked
    2830 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Let me try and understand a little better.... You can talk and text no problem with other users local in Kandahar but can not text people here in the US? You also can not get email or google talk? I don't understand why you can't get email as long as you have an internet connection....

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6386 View Post
    Let me try and understand a little better....
    You can talk and text no problem with other users local in Kandahar but can not text people here in the US? Correct.

You also can not get email or google talk? Correct.

I don't understand why you can't get email as long as you have an internet connection.... I do not have internet connection on my phone, just my computer, I guess that is the APN, that is still locked. I could do all of this if I had WiFi, but it is not allowed here by the company that provides internet. They do have WiFi in some areas, but it is always bogged down with everyone else trying to use it.

Member #
    Liked
    2830 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by SGS3 View Post
    You can talk and text no problem with other users local in Kandahar but can not text people here in the US? Correct.

You also can not get email or google talk? Correct.

I don't understand why you can't get email as long as you have an internet connection.... I do not have internet connection on my phone, just my computer, I guess that is the APN, that is still locked. I could do all of this if I had WiFi, but it is not allowed here by the company that provides internet. They do have WiFi in some areas, but it is always bogged down with everyone else trying to use it.
    Ok I see there is NO type of a data connection there... I am pretty sure that VZW has the abilities already to unlock the phone and program it for International use.... Without knowing the details of the local system (Local there) I am not 100% sure how to go about fixing it... I would contact Samsung directly and see who they "blame" for the issue... My guess would be VZW is trying to get folks like you to buy a device of theirs that has built in international capabilities... But again I thought that VZW had already pushed the global update to the phone.... I am going to assume the network over there is all GSM where as the phone works on CDMA.... I could be wrong but I think that some have been able to achieve global roaming through rooting....

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Roger, but will rooting and achieving global roaming work only if I use VZ service, or will I be able to use a local card when I reach destination?

Member #
    Liked
    953 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Yes, rooting should give you full capabilities

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    What about the billing side of it? Because I am in the military, VZ we have the option to suspend our accounts when going down range. That is what I did, so the only payment I make for now is when I buy a card, same as pay as you go. Also, I am not too sure if I want to attempt to do a root, the internet service here is very slow.

Member #
    Liked
    953 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Billing has no impact. Nothing changes. As for downloading the required files, you will need an internet connection. The ROM or new OS could be quite large and downloading via a slow connection could be an issue.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    That is what I was thinking. I am currently on a live chat with Samsung, hoping to get an answer.

ETA;
    General Info
    Chat start time Mar 13, 2013 10:22:08 PM EST
    Chat end time Mar 13, 2013 10:43:45 PM EST
    Duration (actual chatting time) 00:21:36
    Operator Arwyn

Chat Transcript
    info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
    info: You are now chatting with 'Arwyn'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
    info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402757287X
    Arwyn: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
    Visitor: Hello, I have a question about my service on my phone.
    Arwyn: Sure, please go ahead with your query.
    Arwyn: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?
    Visitor: I am in the US Army stationed in Kandahar. I have a new SCH-I535 that I got directly from Verizon to use while I am here. They unlocked my phone before sending it o me. There is no data connection at all. I am using a local card that I bought while here. Verizon says that Samsung has not created or sent a "patch" to them to send out to customers that require the same as I do.
    Arwyn: I understand your concern.
    Arwyn: I am glad to help you with the information.
    Arwyn: Are you referring to SCH-I535?
    Visitor: Yes
    Arwyn: Thank you.
    Arwyn: Did you unlock the device?
    Visitor: No, as I stated above, Verizon did it for me before the sent it to me. Data worked when I was in the US before I left to come here. Now it does not work.
    Arwyn: I like to inform you that APN settings will be changed . So , you need to contact your carrier for configuring the APN settings on your device to access Internet using data connection.
    Visitor: That is exactly the problem. Verizon says that Samsung has not sent them the patch so they can make the changes.
    Arwyn: I do understand your concern.
    Arwyn: May I place you on hold for 3 minutes, while I gather the information on your request?
    Visitor: Yes.
    Arwyn: Thank you.
    Arwyn: Thank you for being on hold.
    Arwyn: I like to inform you that as of now there is no patch released for this feature for unlocked devices. However, I will save your information and send it to Samsung department. If it is available, it will be notified to your email.
    Visitor: Ok, thank you. How do you know my email?
    Arwyn: Do you have Samsung account?
    Visitor: No.
    Arwyn: Not a problem. Please contact our voice team , they will assist you with the options.
    Arwyn: You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).
    Visitor: Thank you for your help today.
    Arwyn: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    Visitor: Not at this time.
    Arwyn: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
    info: Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.
    Last edited by SGS3; 03-13-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    953 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Check this link. it may give you the info you require

[Q] How do I add APNs on Verizon Galaxy S3 running 4.1.1? - xda-developers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ads