Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Note 8 input please. :)

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Thanks for the input everybody! I have not seen any BOGO deals anymore. However, I really don't want a carrier phone. I want to have the option of jumping carriers without swapping phones if desired.
    I'm hoping I can hold out until the end of the year. I expect to see some good deals between now and then, even on unlocked phones. My daughter's Turbo2 is doing better than my V10 these days. Although I think that is because of our locations. I was doing good and getting 4G off and on (mainly off ). Then TMO axed the 1900 frequency in my area. That's what I was told today by a store rep. All I know is that my speed on TMO was generally faster than on Verizon (using the same Verizon phone). My phone is not that old. But whatever TMO is using these days to broadcast, it seems my phone is missing what it needs to pick it up.
    I'd love to have a Note again. My Note 2 was a terrific device back in the day. I just can't justify spending $900 on a phone. Especially with all the "stuff" that I have been reading about what others have posted on the Note and also the V30. I was looking at both at TMO while I was there and liked the Note better. I may not get anything until the next iteration.... unless some great deal drops on an unlocked device.
    It has been great typing to y'all here. This forum is still top notch!

DeJa Vu

We should take a pole and see who still has their S3 device. I still have it (rooted) and use it off and on. It's a trusty backup device for sure.

Name:  1003170956b_HDR.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  4.79 MB
    condor97 and JD_Racer_Dad like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9950 times
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6386 View Post
    What do you mean older BT devices? I have a jabra headset that's at least 10 years old that works fine with my Note 8....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    She said she's done some research on it to try and resolve the problem and that it's pretty common with the Note 8. She's got 3 speakers and 2 bluetooth headsets that won't connect. I keep meaning to look at it for her, but keep forgetting to ask her and she hasn't brought it up lately. My S8+ connects fine so I'm not sure why hers won't. I'll have to take a look at it tonight when she gets home now that you've mentioned yours works fine. Perhaps she's simply not scanning them correctly.

Member #
    Liked
    9950 times
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by DeJavu View Post
    Thanks for the input everybody! I have not seen any BOGO deals anymore. However, I really don't want a carrier phone. I want to have the option of jumping carriers without swapping phones if desired.
    I'm hoping I can hold out until the end of the year. I expect to see some good deals between now and then, even on unlocked phones. My daughter's Turbo2 is doing better than my V10 these days. Although I think that is because of our locations. I was doing good and getting 4G off and on (mainly off ). Then TMO axed the 1900 frequency in my area. That's what I was told today by a store rep. All I know is that my speed on TMO was generally faster than on Verizon (using the same Verizon phone). My phone is not that old. But whatever TMO is using these days to broadcast, it seems my phone is missing what it needs to pick it up.
    I'd love to have a Note again. My Note 2 was a terrific device back in the day. I just can't justify spending $900 on a phone. Especially with all the "stuff" that I have been reading about what others have posted on the Note and also the V30. I was looking at both at TMO while I was there and liked the Note better. I may not get anything until the next iteration.... unless some great deal drops on an unlocked device.

DeJa Vu

We should take a pole and see who still has their S3 device. I still have it (rooted) and use it off and on. It's a trusty backup device for sure.
    I would wait until Black Friday......carriers are bound to bring back BOGO or offer some heavily discounted devices. They usually do every year. I can't speak for other manufacturers since I've been loyal to Sammy since the original Galaxy, but I can tell you they no longer "brand" their devices on the outside. Sure, they all include a few carrier apps, but that hasn't really been an issue for me with the last couple of Sammy devices I've owned. Before we jumped from Verizon to Tmobile, my S7 Edge worked just fine on Tmobile. Well, we had crap service at home, but I've always had crap service at home regardless of carrier. But it's definitely worse than Verizon. I was surprised our S7's from VZW worked on Tmobiles network. I don't know if it's because Sammy simply didn't lock out (or exclude) the GSM bands altogether, the way they've done in the past or what but all we had to do was insert our Tmobile sim cards and we were good to go.
    Since you mentioned TMo's speeds.......this is what I'm seeing. Around town I've never been this fast with Verizon. Obviously you can tell which ones are at home. Sad state of affairs right there. lol
    Name:  speedtest.png
Views: 25
Size:  343.8 KB
    My speeds are usually better than that but I'm over my allotted 50gig, so those are my speeds until the 7th, at which time they'll jump back up to 10-20gbps at home.
    If you don't want to deal with those pesky carrier apps, you might take a look at the Pixel 2 XL. It's supposed to be a beast with one of the best cameras on ANY device this year. Check out the new Razer phone too. They came out with an amazing device as well with a massive 8 gig of RAM no less!
    This has definitely been a great year for smartphones, regardless of manufacturer. I think everyone really brought their A-game and you can't go wrong regardless of the device you choose.
    Except for Google and the Essential phone of course....that turned out to be a flop.

Member #
    Liked
    4231 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    She said she's done some research on it to try and resolve the problem and that it's pretty common with the Note 8. She's got 3 speakers and 2 bluetooth headsets that won't connect. I keep meaning to look at it for her, but keep forgetting to ask her and she hasn't brought it up lately. My S8+ connects fine so I'm not sure why hers won't. I'll have to take a look at it tonight when she gets home now that you've mentioned yours works fine. Perhaps she's simply not scanning them correctly.
    I do have an issue once in a while with new devices it won't connect until I tap on the device name.

CR6 and condor97 like this.
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    1749 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    I know this is a little random and slightly OT, but just some food for thought here....

https://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-ser...ore-expensive/

I'm not sure how Sprint feels this will be good for business? Lol. I am really glad that merger didn't work out.

On the flip side, Metro PCS is offering 4 unlimited (until 35 GB) lines for 100 dollars. Kind of kicking myself on that one. Just a side note, have you guys seen T-Mobile has raised their throttling limit to 50 gigs for the One plans? Good stuff.

Dejavu, thanks for posting this thread. Great to see you again, and this is an enjoyable thread to read.

DeJavu likes this.
    OnePlus Smartphones | Android Forums at DroidForums.net

Member #
    Liked
    9950 times
    Device
    other
    Welp, got D's Note 8 connected to the speakers. I don't think she was pairing them correctly. She's very "independent" when it comes to her tech, so I learned to never help her... unless she asks. LOL
    She's a happy camper now!

As for TMobile raising their limits, yeah I was happy to hear that. 33gig just wasn't cutting it. 50 however is much more manageable.

Member #
    Liked
    3581 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    condor97 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Device
    other
    DeJavu I got my S5 new in box from a seller on EBay about a year or more ago. A saved EBay search gets you an email every day. I kept the emails tracking the prices on, using my search. So I get an email every day, kind of keeps me up on the prices. Old retired guy here.

Anyway the new S5's can be about $130 to $140 or so maybe a few dollars less, have to watch. I have the search set to only Verizon (no contract) because I understand an unlocked from one operates at 3G and not 4G on the other. But works so they are able to say it works on both.

I also have the same search going for an S7 which seem to go for as low as about $300. The Edge seems to be lower than the Not Edge (what ever that's called) but I use a holster cover combo.

My S5 will have to have trouble before I move up. I like it a lot. So yesterday this thread had me start a saved search on the S8 and plus as well. So now I'm getting three emails a day. You have to look individually because some re-sellers will list used as new (hope its a mistake) or refurbished as new, I want neither.

Oh and if you are comparing two that are close in price, some have added extras. Mine had a free USB Charger and extra cord, nice for the S5 because of the different connection. I saw some with free spinners for you or the kids.
    condor97, DeJavu and CR6 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1749 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    I'm guessing dust? Lol! Haven't had that problem yet. At least it's an easy fix I guess.
    CR6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1749 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    Quote Originally Posted by DeJavu View Post

DeJa Vu

Name:  1003170956b_HDR.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  4.79 MB
    Still have my S3, though it somehow bricked itself a while back. I also have my wife's old S3, which I used this summer. It is definitely a great backup, worked well.

I have a pile of old electronics. I never seem to get rid of devices. I am planning on paying off my Note's so that I can sell/trade in and upgrade every year.
    CR6 and JD_Racer_Dad like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads