Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Drone invasion!

Member #
    Liked
    9837 times
    Device
    other

Drone invasion!

Amazon came knocking this morning and delivered my "practice" drone this morning. I say practice because I spent about 50 bucks on this thing so I can crash it and not worry about being out a thousand bucks.
    Had an absolute blast flying it all day (and crashing it). But I picked this particular drone because it has the same basic controls that the DJI Phantom has, which will be my next drone, once I master this one.
    Pros:
    it doesn't require FAA registration.
    it's very durable.
    you can purchase a 5 pack of rechargeable batteries for 12 bucks.
    Cons:
    Not very good in the wind.
    Only has 7-9 min flight time.
    But any drone you purchase you're going to want extra batteries....

More updates to come...
    Tell us your drone stories!

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    1631 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    Ha that's sweet! Didn't realize they were so affordable. Nice pickup!

The coolest (and only)application I have seen a drone used for is sports coverage. There is new professional rugby league (Pro Rugby) here in the states that I have been following. We have a team nearby here and I take my oldest son to go watch the games when they play in town. They use drones for all of the aerial footage. On a side note, if you are ever interested in watching any games, they stream them for free on AOL (Yes, apparently it is still around lol).
    Last edited by condor97; 06-29-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    CR6 likes this.
    OnePlus Smartphones | Android Forums at DroidForums.net

Member #
    Liked
    9837 times
    Device
    other
    Yeah, my goal is to get into the commercial aspect of drone videography. It's big business in other parts of the country, but it hasn't really taken off here, so I'm hoping to fill that void.

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    9837 times
    Device
    other
    I'm getting pretty good with this little drone. Keep in mind when purchasing these inexpensive models that they don't do well in the wind. Unfortunately it's been windy all week! Argh! But the good thing is, I've been learning to compensate for the wind and i think it's actually helped me control it better in the long run. Because it's so light and the controls are so sensitive, it's been a struggle leaning to fly this thing, but I've finally got the hang of it. The bad news is, the drone has to work really hard in the wind and so the battery doesn't last as long. Fortunately I bought 4 extra batteries so I have 5 altogether, plus the battery charger I purchased allows me to charge all 4 batteries at once, so I always have a fresh battery.
    I finally had about 45 min of calm weather this evening so it was nice to be able to fly it around normally without fighting against the wind. D took some video of me flying it on day one and....well, let me rephrase that: D took some video of me crashing it on day one. Hopefully we'll have some decent weather this weekend and I'll be able to have her shoot some decent footage to upload. Plus, I'll be attaching the camera for the first time, so I'm hoping to get some cool shots with that as well. I'll tell you one thing this little thing is extremely durable. I've crashed it dozens and dozens of times and not a single problem. Just flip it back over and go again.
    I look forward to upgrading soon. Having a heavier more powerful quadcopter will be much easier to fly. But I'm really glad I went with this one to learn on because the controls can be really intimidating at first.

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    5943 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Looking forward to seeing some of your videos!
    CR6 likes this.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    4158 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Drones are a ton of fun.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
    CR6 likes this.
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    5943 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    This reminds me that I've got a mini remote control helicopter. Got it for Christmas a few years ago but had the flu at the time. I tried to fly it but it sent me into vertigo and that's the last time I flew it. I'll have to look for it. I'm sure it's in a drawer here somewhere.
    CR6 likes this.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    9837 times
    Device
    other
    My replacement arrived today. Woohoo!

My three spare batteries however didn't arrive until I got back from the park from it's maiden flight.
    That's ok though, still had a blast. Since I only had the one battery, I flew it without the camera attached to save on overall flight time.

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    9837 times
    Device
    other
    Few more action shots taken from the video D took.

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    1631 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    Nice! Looks sweet!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    CR6 likes this.
    OnePlus Smartphones | Android Forums at DroidForums.net

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads