Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By CR6
  • 1 Post By VoiceGuy
  • 1 Post By marina
  • 3 Post By Miller6386
  • 2 Post By dennyjones
  • 1 Post By CR6
  • 2 Post By Miller6386

Thread: Lost device? Are you really prepared....

Member #
    Liked
    9813 times
    Device
    other

Lost device? Are you really prepared....

...in the event you lose your phone?
    So I had a frustrating moment this afternoon. I got off work early today, ran some errands and then stopped at the grocery store to get a few things on my way home. I get home put everything away, put on some comfy clothes and went to grab my phone out of my backpack to relax on the couch and peruse the forums before making dinner.
    I can't find it....ANYWHERE! So I search my car, my backpack, EVERY room in the house.....the car....three times.....nothing! Frantic, I jump in the car and race back to the store and ask at the customer service desk if anyone turned in an Android smartphone in the last 20 min or so....she said no, but double checked their drawer.... nothing!
    I leave a description of my device and my contact info to have her call me if it's found......yes, you guessed it, I gave them MY number to call. (Which I didn't realize I did because I was in such a panic) Argh!

Now granted, I do have both Samsung & Google locators set up, so I can log onto my pc and remotely lock it, wipe it and/or locate it via gps. The problem was, D wasn't home yet, so I couldn't get in touch with her and come to find out, she texted me during this time, saying she would be a few minutes late. She got home a few minutes after I did and we used her phone to call mine a couple times. Both to see if anyone would answer it, or in the off chance I just misplaced it at home, I would hear it ring. No dice! Just as we were logging into Android device manager on my laptop, the grocery store called and said they had my phone at the service desk, someone had turned it in. Phew....tragedy averted! But it was a frantic 30 minutes. I hate using lock screens, and while nobody would be able to access anything important on my device (like PayPal, banking, etc) without first having to log into those apps, I still didn't want to have to remotely wipe it, on the off chance that nobody turned it in for awhile.
    I keep the "owner information" option checked for the lockscreen that has, "if found, call ******* at this number". and THAT'S what saved me in the end.
    (I highly recommend activating this feature on your device) It will help speed up the recovery of your lost or misplaced device. Or, don't leave your phone in the grocery cart.....there's that too.
    Haha!
    Long story shorter....
    We have so much of our lives on our smartphones these days..... Please take the necessary precautions to either be able to locate it, or make it easier for someone to return it if found.
    Oh yeah.....AND give the store or person where you think you may have left your device, an actual relevant phone number to contact you.....Ya know, one that isn't your own! DOH!

Member #
    Liked
    5898 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Glad you got it back! A great reminder for us all. I would have been in full on panic mode. I've gotten used to using a pin lock but have it automatically disabled when connected to trusted wifi and Bluetooth devices.
    CR6 likes this.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    This reminds me that I have to take those preventive steps that I keep forgetting to take care of for myself. I've come close with misplacing phones. One time, a phone was gone so long, I thought it was gone for good and don't even remember where I finally found it. My grandson lost at least one iPhone, right after his mother bought the expensive thing. She turned around and just got him another. He has also lost an expensive pair of track shoes and gosh knows what else. It is very easy to just lose expensive belongings when you don't have to worry about paying to replace them!
    CR6 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4140 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Man where to start with this story lol.... I think most importantly were you able to get any contact info for the good Samaritan who turned in the phone? Unfortunately where I live if this were to happen 95% chance the phone would never be turned in.

Secondly the fact you gave them your cell number to call cracks me up. Can you imagine being them, finding the phone being happy for you only to call the number you left and have the phone in their hands ring lol?

Third, I've seen you mention a few times you carry a backpack. What all do you carry in it if I can ask? I have been wanting a "fanny pack" of sorts for a while to carry my phone, extra battery, Bluetooth headset, ear buds, USB on the go cable, and a few other small items. I think a backpack is to large to carry everywhere for me but I am just curious. I thought you carried laptop for work so I'm guessing that's mainly why. I ordered one of these in March I just haven't gotten into the habit of wearing it. It's much bigger than it looks.
    Artcraft(tm) Black Molle Camo Bag Military 1000d Nylon Utility Tough Heavy Duty Tactical Compatible Waist Pack Universal Waist Bags Casual Climbing Hiking Outdoor Rock Gear Holster Pouch Cycling Carrying Big Pouch Belt Waist Bag / Pocket for Multi Phone Model https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00STMOVBU..._p2XZvbS77SKR6

Now back on topic again. I try really hard to back everything up as I feel if I lose the phone in a public place I will never see it again. But I like you info on the screen and it makes me think of a useful feature that could be added to a lock screen or device. Perhaps a button that when lost someone could access only that button which would then call a pre determined number. Or even on the Google option to locate via GPS an option that if someone did find the phone that no matter what number they dialed or called it would call the pre determined number of the owners choice.

But with all of this said I am very glad you were able to get your device back!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    dennyjones, CR6 and VoiceGuy like this.
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    1692 times
    Device
    other
    Glad you found your phone. I'd panic too. I really like your ideas about owners info.
    Miller, I just bought something like that from eBay for about $7.
    Miller6386 and CR6 like this.
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness....Michigan

Member #
    Liked
    9813 times
    Device
    other
    Yeah, I carry my work laptop, wallet, reading glasses, bottle of water, gum and my phone.
    You have that feature on your Note. Just go into system settings, clIck on lock screen, and boom...add whatever info you want. Yeah, I also keep everything backed up regularly, but still.
    No info on who found it, but I was grateful and thanked the cust service girl profusely.

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    4140 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Yeah, I carry my work laptop, wallet, reading glasses, bottle of water, gum and my phone.
    You have that feature on your Note. Just go into system settings, clIck on lock screen, and boom...add whatever info you want. Yeah, I also keep everything backed up regularly, but still.
    No info on who found it, but I was grateful and thanked the cust service girl profusely.

S5 tap'n
    I know I can put the number on the screen but I'd like an option where they can only dial or text that number.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    dennyjones and CR6 like this.
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    9813 times
    Device
    other
    It wouldn't matter if you used a pin or pattern on your lockscreen, since they wouldn't be able to dial anyways, but I see what you're saying. That would be a great feature because then you could remotely lock your device. But then again, you would have to have this long message on your device explaining, "press this button to call this number if you've found this lost device". That would be too complicated for most people.
    Even though mine wasn't locked, the lady that called didn't use my phone to call D anyways, she used her own.

S5 tap'n

Remove Ads

Ads