Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dennyjones
  • 1 Post By ajw1100

Thread: Editing/adding phone contacts/info - now Kies is not longer useable.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300

Editing/adding phone contacts/info - now Kies is not longer useable.

Hi.

With my ACE 2 I used Samsung Kies to backup and also enabled me to easily add, edit or delete Phone contacts, now we have Smart Switch which does nothing but backup and restore.

So, I would like to add, edit, or delete my contacts on my PC as I did with Kies if possible, fat thumbs and small screen makes life very difficult.

The S3 menu says I can import or export to sim card or usb but in what format and if you do export to USB in what program will it open on the PC (Assuming it does) I use Excel 2010 so hope I could do my editing this way. However there are many fields I may need so that could get very complicated. Why did Samsung stop using Kies? It may not be cutting edge but was very useful!!

Any suggestions as to how to edit my phone contacts on my PC? I was advised to use Google Contacts but reports are mixed, many saying that they ended up in a right mess with 100’s of emails imported as contacts. Is there an ‘App’ that would take the place of Kies and link between the S3 and the PC?

Member #
    Liked
    4373 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Do you have your contacts synced to your Google account? If so you can log into your Gmail on a PC go to contacts and edit it them there. That is how I do it when I have a bunch to edit or transfer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    I must be really dense, I have a gmail account that I can open on my PC. So far so good. But have not yet discovered how to sync my S3 Contacts to Google Contacts!!! What a thicko
    Yes I have an account, yes I have S3 contacts, all I need now is to find out how to make them 'mate'

I tried Sync on the phone and thought that might bring up some options but seems not, I guess it needs to get friendly, like on a first date

Seriously, any pointers would be great.

My wife gives me pointers, usually when on the top of a cliff.........

Member #
    Liked
    10017 times
    Device
    other
    To sync your contacts with Google, open up system settings, scroll down to "accounts", select "Google", select the specific Gmail account you want to sync all of your contacts with, then scroll down & select "sync contacts".
    If you have more than one Gmail account you can follow the same directions and sync your contacts with that email acct as well.
    Good luck & holler if you need a hand with anything.

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    A very loud HOLLER

Half an hour later and still no contacts, makes me want to cry.......

I have done as you have kindly advised, then opened google gmail on the PC and selected contacts, nothing, only two BT email addresses of mine on the main page with the text below stating No Contacts, did I want to add some! You betcha.

I then sent an email from my phone's BT account to my Gmail account and that showed up fine in my google account on the PC so I know the phone is connecting to the internet and to my gmail account.

Checked the phones settings and according to the phone it was last synced around 6 minutes ago. I tried it earlier with my google account open and the phone showed the sync failed, which is logical but when the phone seemed to succeed my google account was closed on my PC but no contacts were synced.

Something is wrong somewhere, probably some little box is either ticked and shouldn't be or un-ticked and should be.

Will persevere but if you have any suggestions please let me know.

I only have one gmail account.

Don't know if it makes any difference but I am only selecting contacts in the sync menu as shown above.

Member #
    Liked
    1692 times
    Device
    other
    I believe in the older phones, you had an option to either have a phone contact or a google contact. You may have to go into each individual contact and change each from phone contact to google.
    Miller6386 likes this.
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness....Michigan

Member #
    Liked
    10017 times
    Device
    other
    Have you tried rebooting both your pc & phone to see if they sync afterwards?

S5 tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Well, rebooted both PC and phone, still nothing showing in Google Contacts. Also checked to see if there were any options to change to google contact. I could not find any, I could link to another contact and some other options but not to change to google. I will continue to play and see if I get anywhere but if you think of anything that may help I would be very obliged!

Thought; I will add a contact to google and see if they appear on my phone........ watch this space........

Progress, the added contact in google Contacts Preview has appeared on my phone I can see the 'contact details' include a 'G' under 'connections' whereas all my other contacts just show a phone icon so it looks like you are on the money Denny. However, tapping on this field does nothing; which is a bit of pain as it does not seem I can change it to google. I guess my only option is to re-enter all my contacts into google contacts and delete them from the phone, a lot of work. Not sure of the file structure of google contacts but could I export to google and if so how to go about that?

Success, I exported my contacts to my phones sdcard and connected the phone to my PC, using ES file explorer I found the contacts csv file on the sdcard. I then opened google contacts preview and attempted to import the contacts.csv file but that option is not yet available on contacts preview, I was then directed to open googles 'Old Contacts' which I did. Using Old Contacts I then browsed to the contacts.csv file on my phones sd card and imported. Nearly all my contacts now appeared in the Old Contacts screen but some were missing. I then ran import again and I found all had been imported. Problem was I had doubles and triples of some contacts. I then hit 'Merge' and crossed my fingers and the message appeared; contacts merged successfully.
    Back on my phone I see all the contacts now have the phone icon and the Google G icon.

It appears I will have to use the 'Old Contacts' website for the time being until all my contacts can be transferred to the new Contacts Preview.

So it looks like success to me, I just need to play and see whats what.

Thank you, you've been a big help.

Best regards
    Alan.
    Last edited by ajw1100; 04-06-2016 at 02:37 PM.
    dennyjones likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4373 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Yes you should be able to export as a vcf on phone and import that via PC to gmail

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Remove Ads

Ads