Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cyanogen mod 11

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300

Cyanogen mod 11

So guys, I have finally rooted my s3 (international version) after the warranty expired a week ago.
    Have installed CWM and am in a search of ROM for it now.

For now I have decided to flash CM 11, but have few doubts about it:
    Should I install m9 snapshot or m10 snapshot? I read it on reddit that m10 is not stable, so should I go for m9 instead for now?
    And the zip file from their official site is around 212 MB, so does this zip file contain gaaps? If no, then where can I find the gaaps file for cm 11 m9 snapshot version?
    I am kinda new to these things so sorry for being so noob.

And since I am flashing a rom for the first time, do I need to do anything else other than these steps:
    1. Backup current rom using recovery.
    2. Copy the zip file of the cm 11 rom in SD card.
    3. Reboot into recovery, clear data, clear cache and clear dalvik cache.
    4. Flash rom and gaaps(if not included in rom).
    Rosalie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2285 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    Hi deepanshuchg. Welcome to the Forum and congrats on rooting your S3! It's a great feeling to have the control and freedom that rooting brings. Enjoy!

I'm sure some of our that members who use CM ROMs will weigh in and give you some info, but I know one additional thing I'd do before flashing a ROM, if you haven't already done so, is to install Titanium Backup and do a backup of your user apps and their data.

As far as the files, I'm sure someone will point you to a reliable place to get them, but in the mean time you might want to read through the documentation and links on their official site
    http://www.cyanogenmod.org/about

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Thank you rosalie for the reply.

Yes, I have already taken the backup of all the required apps, and have also taken nandroid backup and of EFS folder.
    Rosalie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3713 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Go look up the nvbackup command. Goose has a thread about that on XDA. I'm not sure if it applies to your international s3 or not. If it does, then the nvbackup command will prevent you from looking your imei.

Regarding the build and stability, no need to worry. Flash the latest and if you don't like it, flash another. I used to flash a new ROM every day.

Stability will always be an issue on the latest releases because they have had the least amount of time to work out the kinks.

I'm personally on a jellybean build of a ROM because I didnt feel any of the kitlat builds ware stable enough for my needs.
    Rosalie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Nvbackup is to prevent loosing my imei? But for that I have already backup the efs folder which contain all these details.
    But my question is are there different versions of gaaps available for different version of cm? If so, can you please provide me the link of gaaps for cm11 m9?

And what about the procedure I mentioned above to flash a rom? Is it correct?

Member #
    Liked
    6006 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Welcome! I think you'll find what you need here: Google Apps - CyanogenMod
    Rosalie and spodoc like this.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    3713 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    You have to go read goose's thread to understand.

The nvbackup command is run once and puts a backup in your phone in a way that it is automatically retrieved should you ever need it. In fact it is so automatic you have no idea it was used.

The other methods would require you manually restore your backup, which obviously would be more of a pain than your phone doing it for you.

I'm not sure if this even apples to your version of the phone. On my Verizon, I lost my imei in less than one week of flashing ROMs. After doing nvbackup it has never happened again.
    Last edited by spodoc; 09-27-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1692 times
    Device
    other
    I'm am running CM 11 on my 2012 N7. I'm not running the nightlies but the latest stable version and it works fine. I've not had any issues with it. Like was previously mentioned, take all precautions and flash the rom. If you don't like it, flash another, that's half the fun of trying new ones. If you run into trouble, there are many experts here on the forum that can help you.

Don't be a stranger and make sure to keep us updated on your progress.
    From the land of perpetual cloudiness....Michigan

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    I have actually read a lot about it, have done all the prerequisite steps (nandroid backup, efs folder backup etc), have downloaded cm 11 m9 and gaaps for it, now the only thing that is stopping me from flashing is rootSU post here which says:

"Note that Cyanogenmod is very controversial for the international version of the S3, there are technical issues, and newer stable version is always behind, I would NOT go for Cyanogenmod at the moment.."

So should i go ahead and flash cm 11? What do you guys suggest. I know I am being too preventive but this is my first time so I think this is understandable.

Member #
    Liked
    3713 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    After running the nvbackup command you are safe. Do the following:

1) Locate a Odin flashable tar file for the firmware version installed on your phone right now. This will get you back to stock should you soft-brick the phone.

2) after installing a custom recovery, reboot into that recovery and perform a nandroid backup. This is a backup of your phone's firmware and data. Should you flash a version of any ROM that you later regret, just restore that nandroid backup of stock and it will be like nothing ever happened. You will not need the Odin tar unless you are bricked and cannot get into recovery.

3) flash whatever ROM you want and experiment. Nothing risked if you have run the nvbackup command.
    Rosalie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads