Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Device
    United States SPH-L710

Disable System Update Notifications?

Is there a way to disable (or easily ignore) the constant hounding to update? I literally just got my S3 last week and am already being harrassed to update. Over the years I have updated three times, and each time they broke the phone and I had to pay to get them fixed. I have NO INTENTION of falling for this scam again. I currently have 4.0.4 that's WORKING JUST FINE, thank you very much. Now GO AWAY with your scam to break my my phone and charge me to fix it, Sprint!!!!

Any suggestions for making this go away without rooting? I'd really prefer not to f**k around with the phone too much because I know I'll break, then I really will have to pay to get it fixed. If I simply MUST root, can someone please provide clear instructions on how to do this? All I've seen online are so far over my newbie, tech-deprived head. For example:

1. Download FOTAKill.apk and copy to your Phone/SD (I downloaded Fotakill.apk, but how do you move it to the Phone/SD card?)
    2. Use a root explorer (such as ES Explorer) to copy the file to /system/app (I downloaded ES File Explorer, but how do you copy the file to /system/app?)
    3. If the update already downloaded, delete it from /cache (I don't think it already downloaded.)
    4. Reboot (This I get.)

HELLLP MEEEEE!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    response to:
    #1 if you downloaded it on your phone you are ok, if not you need to connect your phone to your computer and transfer your file that way or over the wireless transfer apps or email or dropbox or something.
    #2 My knowledge with this copying to system/apps you must have rooted your phone. (this was the case with my tablet) Assuming you have rooted it already you need to us esfile explorer to copy the file that is on your phone and go up a couple of levels until you see system as one of the ones you can select. Click that and find the folder called app
    #3 go to the /cache folder and delete the update (using es file explorer)
    AOKP 4.2.2 on VZW 32gig
    Baked Bean Toshiba Thrive

Member #
    Liked
    7892 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    I thought Sprint was pushing out Jelly Bean? (personally I would update but that's just me)

Welcome to the Galaxy S3 Forums!

Guidelines of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Device
    United States SPH-L710
    @CR6: I've had to pay over a hundred bucks to get Sprint to fix my phones after each update. I AM NOT UPDATING.

@deadbuzzard: I figured I was going to have to root. How do you do this...root...thing? And how is rooting going to break my phone? Can I "unroot" once I've killed the update notifications?

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    [Guide] How To Root & [LIST] All ROM / Kernel Development [VZW / SCH-I535]

Look at Jeffery's post.

As for breaking your phone the following things could happen: If you utterly screw up (i mean really bad) it could "brick" your phone. However this doesn't seem to happen as much if you follow the directions
    Play Movies/Tv Store does not play on all rooted devices (this is the case with some of my devices)
    To send the phone back you have to unroot the phone.

However there are some benefits to rooting. You can get custom roms that get rid of all the updates and extra crap put on phones. They tend to run smoother and you wont have to worry about updates.

You can unroot once you kill the update notification however I do not know if it would come back. If you are putting an app in there I would guess it would not matter.

Honestly I tend to root my devices due to the benifits of it. If you really don't understand how to root. Read, read, and Ask questions, many here are super knowledgeable and very willing to help. I can help you the best I can however I have the Verizon version of the phone so a few things may be different.

I was nervious about rooting however the first thing I rooted was my Droid Eris followed by jailbreaking my Ipod Touch. Next it went my Toshiba Thrive tablet followed by the Xperia play and now the GS3
    AOKP 4.2.2 on VZW 32gig
    Baked Bean Toshiba Thrive

Ads