Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

Member #
    Liked
    180 times

New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

There's a new update for the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S III. This new update brings several utility updates and also adds the remote diagnostics tool. It's a shame that it isn't Jelly Bean yet, but still brings with it some useful features. Here's a summary of what it adds,
    • Improved stability and connectivity with Back Up Assistant.
    • Added support for viewing the Guided Tour video’s over the Cellular Network.
    • Enhanced Customer Support with Verizon Remote Diagnostics.
    • Improved Data Connectivity when using SBeam

If you get antsy, don't forget to check your System Updates to get it manually.

Source: VZW

Member #
    Mine says no new software available??

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Twitter
    @brucebanner77

Re: New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but that remote diagnostic tool thingymajig, is that saying that if we have an issue with our phone, that when we call in to Big Red they check our phone via satellite/network?

Tippy Tappin on Tapatalk with Sammy's S3

Member #
    Liked
    1237 times
    Twitter
    @jbbristol
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner77 View Post
    I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but that remote diagnostic tool thingymajig, is that saying that if we have an issue with our phone, that when we call in to Big Red they check our phone via satellite/network?

This isn't the first phone they've put this on. They can only check your phone if you agree to it. You have to ok the linking on your phone; they won't just be able to connect. AFAIK, you're under no obligation to allow them either when you call support.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Twitter
    @brucebanner77

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
    This isn't the first phone they've put this on. They can only check your phone if you agree to it. You have to ok the linking on your phone; they won't just be able to connect. AFAIK, you're under no obligation to allow them either when you call support.
    I'm not rooted, but how does that affect those that are (I might root, but this phone is so B.A. stock I don't need to right now) by them linking up will they be able to tell if it was or is rooted?

Member #
    Liked
    1237 times
    Twitter
    @jbbristol
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

I suspect so. I've personally never done it (not sure I'd call Verizon tech anyway) . At very least they'd be able to see SU in your app drawer. They'd be able to check kernel and build versions. I suspect they'd be able to see any theming as well but can't confirm that. If it's something a rooted person wanted to do I'd recommend returning to stock first.

Sent from my SCH-I510
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Member #
    Liked
    915 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    To be honest I would also be very careful about this update if you are on the Verizon model and plan to root.

A patched bootloader that doesn't allow the leaked unlocked bootloader to work may very well be one of the "unannounced" features.

Let someone else take it or get a new phone with the firmware pre-installed and see if its patched prior to taking.

If you ARE rooted, you can't OTA anyways 99% of the time as it checks system files and if they're modified the update fails. And if you have unlocked your bootloader, DO NOT TAKE THE OTA! As it says on the unlock tool, NEVER take an OTA if you are unlocked. Because of the fact we have a different bootloader there is a very real chance that if Verizon did change anything in the boot partition it could brick your device. Somewhere down the line someone may test it and let people know how it works, but don't let that person be you.
    Brewer, Debian Dog and CR6 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1237 times
    Twitter
    @jbbristol
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    To be honest I would also be very careful about this update if you are on the Verizon model and plan to root.

A patched bootloader that doesn't allow the leaked unlocked bootloader to work may very well be one of the "unannounced" features.

Let someone else take it or get a new phone with the firmware pre-installed and see if its patched prior to taking.

If you ARE rooted, you can't OTA anyways 99% of the time as it checks system files and if they're modified the update fails. And if you have unlocked your bootloader, DO NOT TAKE THE OTA! As it says on the unlock tool, NEVER take an OTA if you are unlocked. Because of the fact we have a different bootloader there is a very real chance that if Verizon did change anything in the boot partition it could brick your device. Somewhere down the line someone may test it and let people know how it works, but don't let that person be you.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Good reminders for us all goose

Member #
    Liked
    296 times
    Twitter
    BrownstotheBone
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Wonder if this will be forced with the Jelly Bean OTA?
    SCH-I535, Blue 32G, Stock, Nova

Member #
    My s3 says that their's no updates available

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ads