Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

  1. #1
    Super Moderator dgstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    444
    Member #
    7
    Liked
    180 times

    New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More


    There's a new update for the Verizon version of the Samsung Galaxy S III. This new update brings several utility updates and also adds the remote diagnostics tool. It's a shame that it isn't Jelly Bean yet, but still brings with it some useful features. Here's a summary of what it adds,
    • Improved stability and connectivity with Back Up Assistant.
    • Added support for viewing the Guided Tour video’s over the Cellular Network.
    • Enhanced Customer Support with Verizon Remote Diagnostics.
    • Improved Data Connectivity when using SBeam

    If you get antsy, don't forget to check your System Updates to get it manually.

    Source: VZW

  2. #2
    Junior Member Thorz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12
    Member #
    1686
    Mine says no new software available??

  3. #3
    Senior Member brucebanner77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    852
    Member #
    685
    Liked
    95 times
    Twitter
    @brucebanner77

    Re: New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

    I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but that remote diagnostic tool thingymajig, is that saying that if we have an issue with our phone, that when we call in to Big Red they check our phone via satellite/network?

    Tippy Tappin on Tapatalk with Sammy's S3

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,395
    Member #
    2052
    Liked
    1237 times
    Twitter
    @jbbristol
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by brucebanner77 View Post
    I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but that remote diagnostic tool thingymajig, is that saying that if we have an issue with our phone, that when we call in to Big Red they check our phone via satellite/network?

    Tippy Tappin on Tapatalk with Sammy's S3
    This isn't the first phone they've put this on. They can only check your phone if you agree to it. You have to ok the linking on your phone; they won't just be able to connect. AFAIK, you're under no obligation to allow them either when you call support.

  5. #5
    Senior Member brucebanner77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    852
    Member #
    685
    Liked
    95 times
    Twitter
    @brucebanner77

    Re: New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewer View Post
    This isn't the first phone they've put this on. They can only check your phone if you agree to it. You have to ok the linking on your phone; they won't just be able to connect. AFAIK, you're under no obligation to allow them either when you call support.
    I'm not rooted, but how does that affect those that are (I might root, but this phone is so B.A. stock I don't need to right now) by them linking up will they be able to tell if it was or is rooted?

    Tippy Tappin on Tapatalk with Sammy's S3

  6. #6
    Senior Member Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,395
    Member #
    2052
    Liked
    1237 times
    Twitter
    @jbbristol
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

    Re: New Update for the Verizon Galaxy S III Adds Remote Diagnostics Tool & More

    I suspect so. I've personally never done it (not sure I'd call Verizon tech anyway) . At very least they'd be able to see SU in your app drawer. They'd be able to check kernel and build versions. I suspect they'd be able to see any theming as well but can't confirm that. If it's something a rooted person wanted to do I'd recommend returning to stock first.

    Sent from my SCH-I510
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Goose306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    1,089
    Member #
    212
    Liked
    915 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    To be honest I would also be very careful about this update if you are on the Verizon model and plan to root.

    A patched bootloader that doesn't allow the leaked unlocked bootloader to work may very well be one of the "unannounced" features.

    Let someone else take it or get a new phone with the firmware pre-installed and see if its patched prior to taking.

    If you ARE rooted, you can't OTA anyways 99% of the time as it checks system files and if they're modified the update fails. And if you have unlocked your bootloader, DO NOT TAKE THE OTA! As it says on the unlock tool, NEVER take an OTA if you are unlocked. Because of the fact we have a different bootloader there is a very real chance that if Verizon did change anything in the boot partition it could brick your device. Somewhere down the line someone may test it and let people know how it works, but don't let that person be you.
    Brewer, Debian Dog and CR6 like this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    1,395
    Member #
    2052
    Liked
    1237 times
    Twitter
    @jbbristol
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    To be honest I would also be very careful about this update if you are on the Verizon model and plan to root.

    A patched bootloader that doesn't allow the leaked unlocked bootloader to work may very well be one of the "unannounced" features.

    Let someone else take it or get a new phone with the firmware pre-installed and see if its patched prior to taking.

    If you ARE rooted, you can't OTA anyways 99% of the time as it checks system files and if they're modified the update fails. And if you have unlocked your bootloader, DO NOT TAKE THE OTA! As it says on the unlock tool, NEVER take an OTA if you are unlocked. Because of the fact we have a different bootloader there is a very real chance that if Verizon did change anything in the boot partition it could brick your device. Somewhere down the line someone may test it and let people know how it works, but don't let that person be you.
    ^^^THIS^^^

    Good reminders for us all goose

  9. #9
    Senior Member BrownstotheBone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    605
    Member #
    241
    Liked
    296 times
    Twitter
    BrownstotheBone
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Wonder if this will be forced with the Jelly Bean OTA?
    SCH-I535, Blue 32G, Stock, Nova

  10. #10
    Junior Member BIG O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3
    Member #
    2056
    My s3 says that their's no updates available


 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM
  2. [TOOL] CF - TriangleAway - Reset Flash Counter
    By Astrix in forum Galaxy S3 Hacking & Mods
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
  3. Remote Video ?
    By CallMeTom in forum Galaxy S3 Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
  4. Verizon adds LTE to 33 new markets this week
    By CR6 in forum Verizon (US)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
  5. Annoying adds!
    By Gooberman in forum Galaxy S3 Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 03:26 AM

Search tags for this page

adds i535 location
,
can i flash vrlg7 in odin
,
diagnostics for galaxy s iii verizon
,
does latest ota affect rooted sgs3
,
galaxy s3 diagnostic
,
galaxy s3 upgrade verizon will it damage the root
,
verizon ota adds remote
,

vrlg7

,
vrlg7 for s3 verizon
,
vrlg7 galaxy s3
,
vrlg7 manual ota
,
vrlg7 update
Click on a term to search for related topics.