Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: HELP PLEASE!!! Need to extract stock rom from 1 device and flash to identical device

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Device
    United States SCH-R530

HELP PLEASE!!! Need to extract stock rom from 1 device and flash to identical device

First, sorry if this is the wrong place, etc.

Here's what I got. I have 2 identical s3's. They are the Ntelos version, sch-r530x. One is rooted, custom recovery, and is flashed to hyperdrive verizon rom. Most of it works fine, but there are certain bugs and I need full function back.

The other device is completely stock and received an OTA update to 4.3 the other day.

I need to extract the stock 4.3 and flash it to the rooted phone to get back to a stock version and get back the functions that wont work. My phone being ntelos and the current rom being for verizon has caused quite a few issues that didnt immediately make themselves known. So I just want to be rid of the custom rom.

Now here is where I am finding a problem. My phone is sch-r530x. The verizon rom has it thinking it is an sch-i535. So when I try standard methods, like using KIES, the phone wont be recognized.

I am thinking the best option is to extract the stock rom from the completely stock device and flash it, via odin or cwm recovery, onto the rooted device. I realize I may have to root the stock device to do this, which is fine, I found a method that works for this model, the trouble only began when I flashed the hyperdrive rom (because someone else had reported good compatability....LIES).

ANY HELP HERE IS APPRECIATED!!!

Also, the reason I need to extract the stock rom from the stock device is because being a regional carrier, the ntelos rom is NOWHERE to be found online. Nobody has heard of them from what I have found, and my last 3 phones through them I have basically had to create my own root methods by piecing together bits from tutorials for other models. I have a good track record, and was able to pull it off again with this model, but I screwed up when I flashed this custom rom for the wrong model number, now nothing works quite like it should.

PLEASE HELP

Member #
    Liked
    5943 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Did you make a nandroid backup of the stock rom on the rooted phone before flashing the Verizon rom? If so, I'd flash that. That's about all the assistance I can offer. I'm betting someone else will have some ideas on how to get it working correctly. Good luck.
    CR6 likes this.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Device
    United States SCH-R530
    I did, and when I tried to restore it said the file is invalid, not sure why. So I am stuck.

Member #
    Liked
    4158 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    In order to do what you are doing you will need a GOOD understanding of ADB commands and also know how to repackage the system pull into a flashable .zip I feel your better option is to flash a STOCK rom to the rooted device... Or better yet post the features that are giving you issues and maybe I can provide a patch or way of resolving that.... You can change the model very easily by editing it in the build.prop if that is giving you issues with using kies.....
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Device
    United States SCH-R530
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller6386 View Post
    In order to do what you are doing you will need a GOOD understanding of ADB commands and also know how to repackage the system pull into a flashable .zip I feel your better option is to flash a STOCK rom to the rooted device... Or better yet post the features that are giving you issues and maybe I can provide a patch or way of resolving that.... You can change the model very easily by editing it in the build.prop if that is giving you issues with using kies.....
    The problem is that there is no stock ROM to be found, I have been trying for over a month to find one. Short of extracting it from an identical device I don't see how I can get it. I contacted the carrier, they say they wont support it. I contacted samsung, they say contact the carrier. I contacted the local phone flashing guys, they want $25 just for a copy of the "stock ROM" they have, which I don't believe is the actual stock ROM as they are flashing it to other s3 models to get them onto the network. Anyway, I have searched everywhere, the issue is it is a crappy regional carrier and so nobody ever works on recoveries or roms for their phones until a year or two after they start carrying it. They have only had the s3 in their stores for a couple of months and nobody out there has mad anything specific to it, and most likely no one has bothered to extract the stock rom to build from or restore from. Im at a loss here.

As for things that are not working properly. I can receive but not send mms. Thought it would be an APN issue, but the damn carrier doesnt even use APN on this model (or thats what they tell me). None of my weather, battery, or clock widgets will update. screen lock widgets, like Start and Go Locker dont work. notifications are hit or miss. some items, likke gmail, dont seem to sync unless I do it manually. im sure there are others too, but I can't think of it right now. Plus since it is a verizon rom there is no 3g indicator. So I never really know what kind of data service I have at any given moment. Ntelos doesnt have 4g yet, so im stuck on 3g, but sometimes it drops to 1x and I can't tell, so I just have to restart connections a lot to try to keep data flowing.

As far as build.prop, how would I do that? If I can get kies to recognize as a sch-r530x I can revert back to a stock Rom (so says their website). But when I try to connect it to the Kies it doesnt seem to recognize it, although my PC recognizes it as an i535. Also, when I try to click the kies-tools-firmware upgrade and initialization it asks model number and s/n, but doesnt accept what I type in. I don't know if the custom ROM changed the serial number. under about phone I find a slot labeled s/n but from what I read on a lot of the forums the s/n SHOULD be the imei number?? Its definitely not the same number listed in those two spots.

ANY help here would be appreciated. I love the device and I just want functionality back. I am so grateful to all of you for trying, and I will be totally in debt to whoever can help me get this thing back on track.

Member #
    Liked
    4158 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by dfekt View Post
    The problem is that there is no stock ROM to be found, I have been trying for over a month to find one. Short of extracting it from an identical device I don't see how I can get it. I contacted the carrier, they say they wont support it. I contacted samsung, they say contact the carrier. I contacted the local phone flashing guys, they want $25 just for a copy of the "stock ROM" they have, which I don't believe is the actual stock ROM as they are flashing it to other s3 models to get them onto the network. Anyway, I have searched everywhere, the issue is it is a crappy regional carrier and so nobody ever works on recoveries or roms for their phones until a year or two after they start carrying it. They have only had the s3 in their stores for a couple of months and nobody out there has mad anything specific to it, and most likely no one has bothered to extract the stock rom to build from or restore from. Im at a loss here.

As for things that are not working properly. I can receive but not send mms. Thought it would be an APN issue, but the damn carrier doesnt even use APN on this model (or thats what they tell me). None of my weather, battery, or clock widgets will update. screen lock widgets, like Start and Go Locker dont work. notifications are hit or miss. some items, likke gmail, dont seem to sync unless I do it manually. im sure there are others too, but I can't think of it right now. Plus since it is a verizon rom there is no 3g indicator. So I never really know what kind of data service I have at any given moment. Ntelos doesnt have 4g yet, so im stuck on 3g, but sometimes it drops to 1x and I can't tell, so I just have to restart connections a lot to try to keep data flowing.

As far as build.prop, how would I do that? If I can get kies to recognize as a sch-r530x I can revert back to a stock Rom (so says their website). But when I try to connect it to the Kies it doesnt seem to recognize it, although my PC recognizes it as an i535. Also, when I try to click the kies-tools-firmware upgrade and initialization it asks model number and s/n, but doesnt accept what I type in. I don't know if the custom ROM changed the serial number. under about phone I find a slot labeled s/n but from what I read on a lot of the forums the s/n SHOULD be the imei number?? Its definitely not the same number listed in those two spots.

ANY help here would be appreciated. I love the device and I just want functionality back. I am so grateful to all of you for trying, and I will be totally in debt to whoever can help me get this thing back on track.
    We can get it back on track no problem......

Lets start with editing the build.prop

Download Root Browser to the device from Play Store
    Open it and Navigate to System>build.prop and open it with a text editor. (if you tap on it it will give you options)
    From there go down to ro.product.device and change that to your model number.....
    Save it and try Kies again...
    With the end of the season comes countless hours of longing to be back in the woods with bow in hand and the chase in your heart.

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Device
    United States SCH-R530
    We can get it back on track no problem......

Lets start with editing the build.prop

Download Root Browser to the device from Play Store
    Open it and Navigate to System>build.prop and open it with a text editor. (if you tap on it it will give you options)
    From there go down to ro.product.device and change that to your model number.....
    Save it and try Kies again...
    will do. hang on

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Device
    United States SCH-R530
    ok, new question, the product device is listed as d2vzw. Im not sure what mine would be. I know the product.model should be sch-r530x, but I know what the device would be, if i look on my other phone where would that info be?

Member #
    Liked
    4158 times
    Twitter
    CoreyFMiller
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by dfekt View Post
    ok, new question, the product device is listed as d2vzw. Im not sure what mine would be. I know the product.model should be sch-r530x, but I know what the device would be, if i look on my other phone where would that info be?
    Ok upon more reading I have realized that nTelos uses CDMA and is mainly a Sprint network...... I don't know if you will be able to see the build.prop on the stock phone without it being rooted.....

I am thinking we can solve most of your issues by finding a ROM that works better with that device... I am going to do some reading but we need a ROM designed for a phone that is closer to what you are using than what the VZW version is.... Does your phone use a SIM card?

~FRED BEAR~

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Device
    United States SCH-R530
    Ok upon more reading I have realized that nTelos uses CDMA and is mainly a Sprint network...... I don't know if you will be able to see the build.prop on the stock phone without it being rooted.....

I am thinking we can solve most of your issues by finding a ROM that works better with that device... I am going to do some reading but we need a ROM designed for a phone that is closer to what you are using than what the VZW version is.... Does your phone use a SIM card?
    no sim card. thats another issue with using the verizon rom, it always says insert sim in my notifications. If I could find the build/prop on the stock phone where would I look? I changed the product.model to sch-r530x but doesnt seem to have made any difference, it still shows up as an i535 under the settings about device.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads