Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Updating your phone to 4.3 (any Variant)

Member #
    Liked
    1989 times
    Device
    other

Updating your phone to 4.3 (any Variant)

I have experienced the dreaded 4.3 update for AT&T. It more or less made the phone worse off than it was before. The phone was slow, painfully slow. I tried a few things and this is what I have come up with. YMMV!!

First off, I would like to mention that phones are not like computers. Do not make the comparison that because you don't wipe or backup your computer before you update doesn't mean you shouldn't give this a try. When Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T or whoever starts rolling out updates for your computer, then we can talk.

I recommend that everyone do this when taking an update from your carrier. One thing about Apple phones I like is their backup to iCloud or the PC/Mac/Linux etc. Everyone I know that has an iPhone backs it up to the cloud. They do their update, which usually wipes the phone, then they restore from the cloud. It isn't perfect, but is beats anything Android has to offer in my opinion.

Before we get started, I am going to define a few things:

FDR - Factory Default Reset: This wipes the phone clean. It is like picking up the phone from the carrier or factory. It is bone stock with no personal information on it.

Recovery mode: In Android, recovery refers to a dedicated, bootable partition that has the recovery console installed. It's main purpose is to delete all user data and files, or to perform system updates. [Source: Android Central]

Cache and Wiping it: Cache is an area of storage used to access commonly used data on your phone. Typically, wiping this can make your phone slower until the cache is built up again. However, in this case, wiping the cache is taking anything that was left from your old software on the phone (in my case, Android 4.1.2) and having Android rebuild it again running Android 4.3. Android 4.3 supports TRIM. One recommended way to take advantage of it is do a full wipe when upgrading to Android 4.3. [Source: Pocket Now]

Backup!!! Backup!!! Backup!!!

Back up your phone. I used Kies to backup the phone, and Kies 3 was able to restore it. I know not everyone fools with Kies. I understand why, but it works for me.

Otherwise...

...I would recommend My Backup Pro. It works for non-root users. It will backup everything you need/want/love. It is simple. You can save to the sdcard or external sdcard. If you have an external sdcard, I would HIGHLY recommend that you save it there. The following steps will wipe your phone completely!!

If you have TiBu, keep in mind, issues with root remaining will likely arise.

NOTE: I personally use more than one backup method. Simply put, I don't like putting all of my eggs in one basket. Using Kies or another backup program should be good enough. If you are a little paranoid about not having your data restore properly, then use both My Backup Pro and Kies.

The Factory Default Reset!!!

Once the phone is backed up, it is time to factory reset it. There are two ways you can do this. I prefer to boot the phone in to recovery and wipe the phone from there. You can wipe the phone from inside Android, under the Settings > Factory data reset. If you wish to do it this way, you may ignore the following steps for the reset in recovery listed below.

To get in to recovery mode and execute a factory default reset follow these steps:

1. Power off the phone (if you feel you need to, you can pull the battery).
    2. Hold the Vol UP, Home and Power button.
    3. On the top left corner, the phone should tell you it is rebooting in to recovery.
    4. Once in recovery, scroll down to Wipe data/cache. Select it.
    5. Scroll to Yes and hit the power button.

I do this twice. Is it necessary? Probably not. I do it because it feel thorough. Once will be enough. This wipes all user data, cache etc. You will lose everything if you have not backed up as recommended earlier.

6. Scroll back up and select Reboot system. Hit the power button to confirm and the phone will reboot. It might take a few extra minutes as it is setting the phone back up as stock as it Android were being loaded on it for the first time, similar to taking it out of the box.

Applying and installing the update!!!

The FDR just wiped the update from your phone. Oh shucks!! Guess what, you can download it again. Set the phone up to connect to WiFi and download the update.

Apply the update.

Once the phone reboots in to Android, you have your 4.3 update installed.

Boot the phone in to recovery again. From here, we are going to wipe the cache one last time so you have a nice, clean install. Why wipe the cache? The factory reset wiped your data and booted you in to your current version of Android. Cache was generated and should be removed so you can boot in to Android 4.3 with a clean slate.

Once the phone reboots, you not have a clean phone running 4.3.

Restore your data and enjoy Android 4.3 (minus Samsung KNOX...so obnoxious)!!!

Install My Backup Pro or connect to a PC and run Kies to restore your phone.

One thing I did discover is that Kies will not restore apps from an account that is no longer on the phone (my girlfriend has my account on her phone to use apps I purchased). Make sure you restore all accounts that you use on the Play Store.

I hope all goes well. Ask questions before you start if you have them. You will save yourself some time and stress!!

EDIT 12/20/2013: Improved my explanation and added more information with some sources.

Member #
    Liked
    7992 times
    Device
    United States SGH-I747
    Thanks for the tips Froggie!
    grenefroggie likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Member #
    Liked
    3804 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Thank you! I'm going to update in a week or so - very useful.

One thing that puzzles me though. You say 'factory reset your phone from recovery' before updating. Then you describe how to wipe the cache ... two different things, isn't it?

I just want to make absolutely sure I know what I'm doing - before doing it

pix

P.S. what is the reason you recommend not resetting from the Settings menu in Android?

Tap'd @ S3
    Last edited by pixeline; 12-16-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    "Minds are like parachutes ... they only function when open"

Member #
    Liked
    1989 times
    Device
    other
    Quote Originally Posted by pixeline View Post
    One thing that puzzles me though. You say 'factory reset your phone from recovery' before updating. Then you describe how to wipe the cache ... two different things, isn't it?
    Yes, factory resetting and wiping cache are two different things.
    Wiping cache clears the cache. This clears out temporary files, but keeps your data intact.
    Factory reset start you from scratch, like you got the phone new.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeline View Post
    P.S. what is the reason you recommend not resetting from the Settings menu in Android?
    Honestly, I am not sure. I have always done it this way, because I am always running a custom ROM. You aren't supposed to wipe a custom ROM from inside the ROM. I have heard that wiping the phone from inside Android might always work properly. Wiping from recovery ensures it gets wiped. Doing it from fastboot is preferred, but the S3 does not support fastboot. So wiping from recovery is the next best thing.

Member #
    Liked
    3804 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Quote Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
    Yes, factory resetting and wiping cache are two different things.
    Wiping cache clears the cache. This clears out temporary files, but keeps your data intact.
    Factory reset start you from scratch, like you got the phone new.

Honestly, I am not sure. I have always done it this way, because I am always running a custom ROM. You aren't supposed to wipe a custom ROM from inside the ROM. I have heard that wiping the phone from inside Android might always work properly. Wiping from recovery ensures it gets wiped. Doing it from fastboot is preferred, but the S3 does not support fastboot. So wiping from recovery is the next best thing.
    Thanks ... I use App cache Cleaner every day, so maybe that's enough. I'll do it your way too though, just to make sure.

If you were on stock Android would you do a complete factory reset before the update too? And do I understand you correctly - it is not possible to reset from recovery, just wipe cache?

When doing a mayor update earlier, I've done a reset from inside Android (through Settings) AFTER the update - and it has worked fine. But I can see the sense in doing it beforehand.

Bear with me for being so persistent. But I have a beautifully working phone at the moment and I would be very unhappy if the result of the update was anything less ...

Tap'd @ S3

Member #
    Liked
    1989 times
    Device
    other
    You make some very interesting points, there are some things I can explain a little better. If I get time tomorrow, I will edit it.

Member #
    Liked
    10017 times
    Device
    other
    You're actually slowing down your device by using a cache cleaner every day. The Android OS is designed to keep apps in cache to easily recall them the next time you open an app. By cleaning out those cached files, you're essentially making your device work harder by starting all over each day, While it's good to do the occasional "spring cleaning".if you will, a daily cleanse is not necessary and is actually counter productive.
    Just a thought.

tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    3804 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    You're actually slowing down your device by using a cache cleaner every day. The Android OS is designed to keep apps in cache to easily recall them the next time you open an app. By cleaning out those cached files, you're essentially making your device work harder by starting all over each day, While it's good to do the occasional "spring cleaning".if you will, a daily cleanse is not necessary and is actually counter productive.
    Just a thought.

tap'n
    I do know you are right, of course ... cache is not all bad. (Neither is cash )

I'm just a sucker for keeping my phone nice and clean ... a bit of dust in the corners in my flat is all right - but when it comes to my phone I'm a maniac
    Last edited by pixeline; 12-17-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    The whole idea that it's possible to replace core components of an OS without issue has never set well with me. From computers to phones and even tablets, whenever I update an existing install instead of a clean install, I experience performance issues.

I understand from a carrier's perspective why they would prefer to update your phone without requiring a factory reset, but I really think is sacrifices stability and performance.

I run custom firmware so it is a non issue for my phone, but on other devices I am responsible for, I always push the user to clean install, which in this thread's case is approximated when you perform a factory reset.
    grenefroggie, pixeline and Rosalie like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    As to the cache cleaner, I don't think wiping cache speeds up a phone. I also don't think it significantly slows it down either so I'm indifferent as to cache cleaners.

I do, on occasion, experience heavy lag. Restarting my launcher (apex) always fixes it. Clearing apex cache does NOT fix it. I am unsure what restarting it does, but it works.

If you are stock, I don't know how you could restart your launcher. But you could try restarting your phone to see if the lag goes away.
    grenefroggie likes this.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads