Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Please HELP. Phone won't turn on, tried to flash and screwed it all!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Unhappy Please HELP. Phone won't turn on, tried to flash and screwed it all!!!

Hello All!

This is my first post, so bare with me please. I am Oh-So-Noob.
    I Have an american AT&T SGS3 SGH-I747. it came with 4.0.4. I unlocked it.
    I wanted to upgrade to 4.1 JellyBean using Odin (not with Root). and I found this link: How to Install the Official Jelly Bean Update for the Galaxy S3
    This allowed me to, supposedly, get the update without rooting at all.
    I did what it said, but it kept failing on me (now i know it was because this is the american version...).
    I tried it a like 3 times, but on the last attempt, Odin froze, so I force-closed it. My phone was in Download mode still, and i disconnected it (very very stupid thing to do, I know now...). Then i tried to reboot it and it gave the following message: "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". i tried to connect it with Kies - didn't work. tried to boot it again - didn't work. always showed me the same screen. and then, i don't know why, the phone turned off.
    since then, i cannot turn it on. when i plug to the wall charger - it vibrates (led is not flashing). then when i try to turn it on it shows the empty battery screen with the circular loading sign and then turns off again. when i try to turn it on in Download Mode, nothing happens. when i take out the battery and plug it to the charger, the Led light turns red for like 3 secs and then turns off.

I read in other forums things about "Hard Bricks"... "Jigs"... I have no idea what it all meas and if it has anything to do with my case.

please... i made a lot of mistakes. i know. i'm a fool.
    but please help me. i have no idea what to do. i have zero experience it all this rooting/flashing business. i really don't know what to do, and i am seriously panicked.

P.S
    1. bought the phone in USA, but now i am in the UK. no AT&T here.
    2. did a complete backup on Kies before I did anything else.
    3. battery does NOT heat up when I try to charge.

Thanks a lot.
    Emanuel
    Last edited by emanunet; 11-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2984 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Re: Please HELP. Phone won't turn on, tried to flash and screwed it all!!!

Welcome, Emanuel. I don't have the answers you're looking for. Hopefully someone else will be along soon with some useful advice.

Member #
    Liked
    942 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    You flashed JB for the I9300 which is the International version of the S3. This will not work on your ATT phone. You will need to use Kies or ODIN to return back to stock firmware

Plug the phone into the charger and let it be for an hour or so. Then try to connect to Kies and do a restore
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 11-04-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2556 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    It's been a long time, but I think you can go to samsung mobile and download the correct file for your phone. I think this site Smartphone Solution: How to Fix/Unbrick or Recover Bricked AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 has a link but I looked at it all of about 2 seconds.

Anyway, you know how to odin flash since that's how you got here. Just go get the correct file and flash it. You'll be fine.

EDIT: I googled "i747 firmware" and it sent me here http://samsung-updates.com/3638-samu...mwares-online/ this looks like the real deal firmware from samsung. I'd flash this. Good luck.
    Last edited by spodoc; 11-04-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    915 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Re: Please HELP. Phone won't turn on, tried to flash and screwed it all!!!

What specifically happens when you try to boot into download mode? I know flashing ROMs for International on a US variant is extremely bad (it wipes out download mode!) Which is why I'm asking specifically what happens when you try to boot to download mode.

Tapped from my jelly-beaned d2vzw

Member #
    Liked
    2556 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by emanunet View Post
    when i try to turn it on in Download Mode, nothing happens
    I just read this part. So, yeah, you'd need to get the correct file but as goose indicated your situation might be extra tricky. Try not to panic. Goose is one of the most knowledgale folks. If there's a way out for you, he'll probably get you there.
    da2zoe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2556 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by emanunet View Post
    I read in other forums things about "Hard Bricks"... "Jigs"... I have no idea what it all meas and if it has anything to do with my case
    Since you said you don't know what the term "brick" is...

An actual brick is a small, heavy block not really useful for anything other than being a block. So when you bork your phone and it no longer functions (e.g. it won't turn on), people casually refer to that as a "brick." It can also be a verb: I just "bricked" my phone. There are two types of bricks: soft bricks and hard bricks. A soft brick is easily recoverable using computer software, usb cables, etc. Just re-flash your software and you are up and running again. A hard brick is where you have seriously corrupted or damaged part of the phone's hardware or software to the point where ordinary recovery methods won't work. From there, hardware tools like jigs can sometimes help. Other times a hard brick is the end of the line.
    da2zoe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    942 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post
    What specifically happens when you try to boot into download mode? I know flashing ROMs for International on a US variant is extremely bad (it wipes out download mode!) Which is why I'm asking specifically what happens when you try to boot to download mode.

In his OP he said he can't get to Download mode. He also said the phone turns on and then dies. I think he needs to charge it in order to try download mode again

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose306 View Post

So ATM, when I try to turn on the phone (only long pressing the power button), nothing happens, then when i let go of the button, there is a vibrate, the "Samsung" logo appears for about a second and then it dies again. Same thing happens when i try to boot up download-mode: long press (Vol - + Home + Power) -> Nothing -> let go of buttons -> vibrate -> samsung logo -> dies.

I am now trying to plug the phone into a charger without the battery, and then about half an hour later ill try to put in the battery as well.
    I have no idea if the battery is empty or not...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spodoc View Post
    I just read this part. So, yeah, you'd need to get the correct file but as goose indicated your situation might be extra tricky. Try not to panic. Goose is one of the most knowledgale folks. If there's a way out for you, he'll probably get you there.
    Hehe... thanks. that's very reassuring to read. thank you all for your assistance...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads