Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
    Member #

Galaxy S3 "Freezing / Turning itself off" after being idle

Hey Everyone,

New to the S3 forum here... I just got the S3 last week and just found this site...

As I signed up today, I can't help but wonder how many "old timers" are out there that I've chatted with over the years using other phone models...

Anywho... So far, I love the S3... Other than it's a little BIG, which for some applications and uses, ROCKS!...and for others, like ONE HANDED TEXTING, is a pain! At least for people with smaller hands...

Yes, the battery life ins't the greatest, but once we all embrace the fact that battery life is going to suffer and be sub-par as the devices get more labor / application intensive, the more at peace we will be with the cool devices we have...lol

Ok, now down to business... I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced their S 3 "going idle," or going to "sleep" and not being able to turn it back on using a quick press of any of the device's buttons... I have had this issue of the phone essentially freezing up, several times over the last few days. It seems to do it after sitting idle for a little while. And the only way I can get the phone to turn back on is either a LONG press of the power button, which then resets / turns the phone back on, or pulling the battery out and reinstalling it and powering it back on normally.

Do I have a dud phone or is this a known issue?

P.S. I DID root the phone, BUT it's still operating with the stock ROM from Sprint. I just unlocked it (rooted it) so I could use the wifi tether function.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!

WC

Member #
    Liked
    953 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    Welcome to the Forum WC. Can't really say we have others reporting the same issue. You say it just started a few days ago. Could be an app causing the issue. I would remove apps installed in the last few days and see if it fixes the issur.

Super Moderator furbearingmammal's Avatar
    The great northern wastes of NY state near Fort Drum.
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    FoxFi from the market didn't work on your phone?

Do you have any powersaving apps like juice defender on there?

Have you received any updates for the phone OTA?
    Due to the lack of robots, our staff contains the occasional human being which may respond unpredictably to being abused. Please, be considerate so as to avoid unpredictable responses.

Hey, did you know I'm an author? I am. Curious? Check out my author page on Amazon or my blog.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I am having the exact issue! Verizon stock here. I just noticed this recently...it has happened everyday for about 3 days now....Twice this morning! Got a call but my screen went black, ringtone kept playing and playing. Like i said have already done two battery pulls this morning.

Member #
    Liked
    3104 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Re: Galaxy S3 "Freezing / Turning itself off" after being idle

My 2c (this all assumes you've factory reset, don't have full memory, running minimal apps for a bit, and still have issues):

Locking up, freezing, nonresponse, etc these are often the symptoms of a processor that is clocked too fast or is undervolted (or both). We see this on modified phones a lot when users adjust the CPU settings beyond what their phone can handle. Knowing that not all CPUs are the same, it is entirely possible your phone has a CPU that can't handle the stock voltages and/or clock speed. So, yeah, you got a "dud" maybe.

If this were the case I would request a replacement because the problem will most likely not get better over time. You can root your phone and download software to give your CPU what it needs, but honestly if you ultimately conclude this is your issue, then I'd just rather have a new phone.

Member #
    Liked
    3104 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Re: Galaxy S3 "Freezing / Turning itself off" after being idle

Folks running the stock firmware should not have to deal with instability, IMO.

If you do return, confirm that you've removed all traces of root.

Ads