Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S3 - Keypad Disappears During Voicemail and Other Calls

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Question S3 - Keypad Disappears During Voicemail and Other Calls

Hi Folks

I have read a ton of posts about this problem, but I have yet to see the actual solution.

The Problem:
    I call voicemail (for example) and when I need to enter my password, the screen disappears. I then unlock the screen and get back to the keypad and it happens again. This continues to the point where you want to hurl the phone across the room!

I keep hearing that this is a "proximity sensor" issue; but can't say for sure.

I often find myself on calls where I need to enter a lot of data and the screen just keeps locking (I'm assuming this is a, "Feature" to prevent your face from pushing buttons during a normal call).

Is there a way to "Force" the proximity sensor off during certain situations? Or to "force" the keypad to stay active until I physically push something to tell it to go away?

One would think that the Gyroscope would understand that when the phone is being held at a certain angle AND when you have pushed the "Keypad" button requesting use of the keypad, the proximity sensor would not turn the keypad off; but alas, the phone doesn't seem to be working that way.

There are other numbers that I call for work where I need to enter a great deal of data. (Voice systems with keypad recognition). Having the phone shutting off the keypad when I really need it is not only annoying; but to the point where it is impacting my job and frankly, I'd need to get rid of the phone versus working like this. It would be like your BlackBerry just deciding that after each button you pushed, it was going to turn off the keypad and when you typed your unlock password again, the problem re-occurs after entering 1 more character, only to have the problem repeat again!

Annoying? You have no idea! And let's face it... if it happened like this with a BlackBerry, nobody would own them would they?

Ideas? Thoughts? Things to try?

Thanks for your help everyone!
    Last edited by justinit4it; 09-04-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of grammar errors.

Super Moderator furbearingmammal's Avatar
    The great northern wastes of NY state near Fort Drum.
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    I've had this issue. It's a pain for sure. I don't think there's a workaround currently. Hopefully it'll get fixed in our JB update.
    Due to the lack of robots, our staff contains the occasional human being which may respond unpredictably to being abused. Please, be considerate so as to avoid unpredictable responses.

Hey, did you know I'm an author? I am. Curious? Check out my author page on Amazon or my blog.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, if that is really the situation (no fix); I'll probably return this phone and go with the Motorola.

Super Moderator furbearingmammal's Avatar
    The great northern wastes of NY state near Fort Drum.
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    If you're concerned about your data privacy then Motorola is not the way to go, but Moto makes some darn good hardware.

If there were a 3rd-party app that I happened to know about that would fix the problem I couldn't recommend it to you as you've made your stance on 3rd-party apps clear. Unfortunately, this is an issue with our phones. Have you contacted Samsung to see if they're even aware of the issue so they know to fix it?
    Due to the lack of robots, our staff contains the occasional human being which may respond unpredictably to being abused. Please, be considerate so as to avoid unpredictable responses.

Hey, did you know I'm an author? I am. Curious? Check out my author page on Amazon or my blog.

Member #
    Liked
    4083 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Re: S3 - Keypad Disappears During Voicemail and Other Calls

I've never noticed this before but then again I rarely ever use the keypad. So is the phone app overriding the screen timeout to the point that increasing the time won't help? I have the opposite problem where I'll take the phone away from my ear and the screen won't come on and you have to use the power button. Happens about 50 percent of the time.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, just to be clear, the operation of the phone itself and how the keypad works during calls can't really be called an "app" issue; but rather a Samsung "Telephone" Defect.

My personal concerns with 3rd party apps (documented in another thread regarding ringtones) is an entirely different subject entirely (and yes, I would have the same concerns using 3rd party apps on even any Android based Motorola phone as well).

Like I said, I have seen MANY reports of this telephone "keypad" issue during calls with the Samsung; but have yet to see a documented fix for the S III.

If there is a fix, I'm interested; however, given the importance of being able to use the keypad during calls, without a fix I would sooner return the phone and buy a brand that is not missing this basic "Telephone 101" feature.

I mean let's be real here... the dial pad is a basic feature of EVERY telephone.... without it working properly during calls; essentially this device just becomes a fancy music player/camera/internet device and first and foremost, I was buying a telephone.

Not trying to flame anyone here, just telling it like it is!

Voiceguy, to answer your question... It is not a time-out issue, it appears (from what I have read) to be an issue with the Proximity Sensor (not to be confused with facial recognition/front camera).... Changing the timeout has no impact.... when the sensor sees your finger, it shuts down the keypad and locks the phone. The proximity sensor should be shut-down when you depress the "keypad" button (to bring up the dial pad) during calls. Again, from what I can gather, this is specifically a Samsung hardware/software issue. In fact, the proximity sensor is there so that when you put the phone to your face, you are not "dialing" by accident.... However, again.... if you have pushed the "keypad" option, you are essentially telling the phone that you WANT to push buttons.

Additionally, like I have said before, the Gyroscope angle in cooperation with the Proximity Sensor should notice when you put the phone back to your face, essentially (again) disabling the "Keypad" (but not turning the screen off!), then if you were to lower the phone from your face again (as if you are looking at the screen), the screen should "light up" again and allow you to (again) see and depress the "Keypad" button where the proximity sensor would again disable itself and input from the keypad could again continue.

Again, it looks like there is a serious bug here in how Samsung integrated the Proximity Sensor and Gyroscope with "Telephone" Operations.... But if there is a fix, Folks... I'm all ears!
    Last edited by justinit4it; 09-04-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4083 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Good to know. I'll pay better attention next time I have to use the keypad when in a call. Considering how you use your S3 I can see where you would be frustrated by this.
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Liked
    4083 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

I have no idea if it would help but you could try calibrating the gyroscope.

Member #
    Liked
    7941 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535

Quote Originally Posted by VoiceGuy View Post
    I have no idea if it would help but you could try calibrating the gyroscope.
    Definitely worth a try. :thumbup:

tap'n

Welcome to the Galaxy S3 Forums!

Guidelines of Conduct

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks guys... Actually.. that was one of the first things I tried.... but again, according to the bug reports out there... it is directly related to the "Proximity Sensor"... bummer that it is....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads