Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

How to disable swipe pattern and PIN for unlock

Hello All,

I searched the web exhaustively and have not found a way to disable the swipe pattern and PIN for unlocking the phone. When I added a VPN connection to the phone it forced me to define a swipe pattern and PIN. After a few minutes I decided that having a VPN connection was not worth the trouble of having to use a swipe pattern. How do I disable these security features? I went to the security settings but could not find an option to do so.

I just want to be clear that this is not an issue where I forgot the swipe pattern/pin - I just want to disable them because its not worth the hassle for me.

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Settings, Security, Screen Lock. Or Lock screen.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Ollie; 07-24-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    You may have to kill the VPN first. I've never used it.

Super Moderator furbearingmammal's Avatar
    The great northern wastes of NY state near Fort Drum.
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Welcome to the forum! Ollie gave you good directions on where to go. Hopefully that sets you right. I'd hate you to have to do a factory reset over a silly VPN.

Was it for personal security?
    Due to the lack of robots, our staff contains the occasional human being which may respond unpredictably to being abused. Please, be considerate so as to avoid unpredictable responses.

Hey, did you know I'm an author? I am. Curious? Check out my author page on Amazon or my blog.

Member #
    Liked
    2841 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    When you added the vpn, if it was for work then you probably allowed them to be a system administrator on your phone. If so, then those security policies are standard to force you to pin unlock. Go to security andctey removing the administrator. If not then facteoy reset would do it .

Sode note: For users connecting to exchange, there is a hack to circumvent this. To apply the hack you have to make source code edits to email.apk. or you can hunt for a hacked and compiled email.apk. I have one for Android 4.0.3.

Once you have that you can replace your email.apk with the hacked one. This all assumes you are on a deodexed rom. This won't work with stock.

Member #
    Thanks for the info Ollie, it worked like a charm. I had tried it before but when it asked me for the swipe pattern to access that menu I thought it was a tool for changing the swipe pattern, not disabling it. Anyway, it works fine now.

Spodoc: This wasn't for work, I used the VPN because the country I am in controls access all internet access through a single proxy for various reasons. In this case I wanted to be able to access Google-play books to look for a specific book on continuum mechanics. I am through buying hard copies, just so expensive to ship or too cumbersome to travel with. The entire books section of google-play is not currently available or allowed for my location. In any case when I went to Settings> Security> Device Administrators the list was empty, so I am assuming this is the default behavior of the phone when adding a VPN. I could only disable the swipe pattern when the VPN was removed.
    Last edited by GenericUser; 07-26-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    To bypass a region restriction in the Market you would have to root and install Market Enabler. I have to do so as well while working abroad. It may work through a proxy as well, but I haven't had to try that route due to my phones always being rooted.

Member #
    first you have to remove all certificates :
    settings> security > clear credentials
    then you will be able to disable swipe pattern

Member #
    I just had this same problem. Dove me nuts for a while. Here's what I did to fix it. First I deleted the VPN. It didn't work for me anyway. Then I went to settings/security went into the screen lock, enter my password/pin to unlock. Then I went to in to the screen lock again and was able to return to my choice of security. In my case swipe only. The disabled by admin was completely gone and my phone was back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericUser View Post
    Hello All,

I searched the web exhaustively and have not found a way to disable the swipe pattern and PIN for unlocking the phone. When I added a VPN connection to the phone it forced me to define a swipe pattern and PIN. After a few minutes I decided that having a VPN connection was not worth the trouble of having to use a swipe pattern. How do I disable these security features? I went to the security settings but could not find an option to do so.

I just want to be clear that this is not an issue where I forgot the swipe pattern/pin - I just want to disable them because its not worth the hassle for me.

Member #

Please some one help me to remove the VPN, that i have add.

With my new s3 i was trying all the features and while doing so i have set a VPN network just to know. Now i am not able to remove the password lock which was set when VPN was set. I want to remove VPN and the Password. Someone help me in getting it done. As i have seen few of the members were posted with the similar problem i guess.

Waiting for your assistance

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUser View Post
    Thanks for the info Ollie, it worked like a charm. I had tried it before but when it asked me for the swipe pattern to access that menu I thought it was a tool for changing the swipe pattern, not disabling it. Anyway, it works fine now.

Spodoc: This wasn't for work, I used the VPN because the country I am in controls access all internet access through a single proxy for various reasons. In this case I wanted to be able to access Google-play books to look for a specific book on continuum mechanics. I am through buying hard copies, just so expensive to ship or too cumbersome to travel with. The entire books section of google-play is not currently available or allowed for my location. In any case when I went to Settings> Security> Device Administrators the list was empty, so I am assuming this is the default behavior of the phone when adding a VPN. I could only disable the swipe pattern when the VPN was removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads