Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By spodoc
  • 4 Post By adobeman
  • 2 Post By spodoc
  • 2 Post By spodoc

Thread: How Do I Increase Photo Resolution?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Device
    United States SPH-L710

How Do I Increase Photo Resolution?

Even at the highest setting (8M, 3264x2448 with image quality set to "superfine") photos only come out at 72 dpi. Is there a setting I'm missing that increases the resolution on the camera? I'd like to use the photos in marketing and advertising pieces I do at my new job and I really don't want to have to go buy an actual camera, but at 72 dpi they're only good for screen, not print. I know I can pop them into PhotoShop and increase the resolution there, but anyone who's ever done that knows it's not ideal. A perfect scenario would be for the original image to be taken at high resolution to begin with (or at least close to 300 dpi). Any ideas/suggestions? Are there camera apps out there that can do this better than the stock app? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    DPI, or dots per inch, is more of a printer setting as I understand it.

Your DPI would be determined when you choose the final print size. I can change the DPI in Photoshop, but the image itself remains unchanged. The reported height and width in inches changes though.

In short, the default 72 DPI doesn't mean anything.
    Mujibar likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Device
    United States SPH-L710
    I apologize, I meant PPI, which DOES mean something to a printshop. If you submit a project with 72 ppi images, it will be categorically rejected. Here's an explanation from a professional that I found (thank you, Andrew Dacey Photography!) that may help everyone understand why I need an image CREATED at a higher resolution (300 ppi):

"If you change the PPI after the shot is taken (such as you might with PhotoShop), you will lose pixels (if you set the PPI to a lower value) or you will have pixels created (if you increase the PPI). Creating pixels is a bad idea, they get generated by the computer and the results aren't usually that good. Throwing away pixels is fine as long as you won't need the bigger size later (that's why it's usually a good idea to save the original large file).

So I'll ask my question again: Does anyone know if there's a setting in the stock app that will allow me to take a photo at a higher-than-72 ppi resolution, or does anyone know if there is an aftermarket camera app that will allow me to do this?

Member #
    Liked
    1610 times
    Twitter
    @maycruising
    I'm not very tech and picture savvy. I use camera zoom fx as my daily camera. I have printed pictures and they come out great. I haven't really changed many settings . Maybe you could try a couple sample pics and see if that works for you. If you want professional pics than ya I think you'd need a nice camera.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    10017 times
    Device
    other
    That is very odd it's coming out at such a low resolution. Are your photos automatically saved to your ext sd card? If so, try changing it to your phone.
    Try clearing the cameras cache, reboot your phone and try again. If that doesn't work, camera Zoom FX, as May suggested, is a great alternative.
    Good luck and keep us updated. :thumbup:

tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Mine come out as 3264x2448 with a 72DPI as well. I'm kind of with spodoc on this one. Yes, the DPI will mean something with respect to how the image is sized but it shouldn't be an insurmountable issue for a print shop to deal with (probably not for free though)

Re-sizing the image in Photoshop will absolutely not create or destroy pixels as long as you make sure the resample image check box is un-checked. If that box is checked all increasing the DPI from 72 to 300 will do is change the "document size" of the image (At least that's what it's called in my version of PS Elements). If you leave the resample image check box is checked then you will, as you say, create or destroy... bad !

I don't know of any camera apps (I have and checked CameraZoomFX) that let you change what DPI they use when they save. I've never even seen it as a setting in actual cameras either. If you search for key words containing android and dpi you will find many discussions about how to hack the dpi setting for your device display if you are rooted. This is NOT what you want. My guess is that you should search Google for "batch convert dpi ppi" if you need to do lots of photos. In this case you would have to copy them to a computer and run a job on all of them assuming you can find a conversion tool. Alternately you could do them one by one with photoshop or some other image tool.

Full disclosure. I acknowledge but I really can't say I fully grasp the full differences between dpi/ppi. But, I will say that any image of dimensions 3264x2448 if well focused and exposed should be more than sufficient for just about any printed items so long as we are talking reasonably sized advertisements . There's nothing wrong or "low resolution" with the way the S3 saves the image files. This is more or what I'd call a "language" issue between us consumers and professional printers. Frankly, whenever I've needed banners, signs, etc. printed up the printer has never once had issues with anything I gave them as long as the actual pixel dimensions were appropriate for the physical size of the media to be used. Any ppi changes, color profile conversions, etc. were handled by them. Perhaps you need to work with a printer that's more accommodating or flexible.
    Mujibar, maybish, spodoc and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    No, 72 DPI (or call it PPI if you want) is sort of a default value. I means nothing other than tells you what the print size will be. Increase your DPI and your print size shrinks. You set the print size, not your phone.
    adobeman and Mujibar like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by shandycat View Post
    "If you change the PPI after the shot is taken (such as you might with PhotoShop), you will lose pixels (if you set the PPI to a lower value) or you will have pixels created (if you increase the PPI). Creating pixels is a bad idea, they get generated by the computer and the results aren't usually that good. Throwing away pixels is fine as long as you won't need the bigger size later (that's why it's usually a good idea to save the original large file).
    I respectfully submit that they are wrong. I do a lot of photo editing and printing. I'm not a professional, but I care nothing about the reported DPI (or PPI). It gets changed automatically for me when I set the up print size.
    adobeman and Mujibar like this.

Remove Ads

Ads