Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By spodoc
  • 1 Post By Bluenose1940
  • 1 Post By spodoc
  • 1 Post By Bluenose1940
  • 1 Post By spodoc

Thread: A little help for a newbie please

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    other

A little help for a newbie please

Hello folks, I have just treated myself to an S3 tablet and have what I consider to be an important question please.

First off I am a grey haired old wrinkley and, whilst being reasonable with techie matters, I am far from being good at it. My question revolves around the battery. In the past when charging DIY tools I have often left them 'on-charge' all of the time so that they are always ready for immediate use. I have learned (much later in life) that this can be detrimental to the life of the battery and can often affect the batteries 'memory' and its ability to hold the charge.

I am wondering if there are any guidelines or recommendations for the charging procedure for the S3 tablet please?

Many thanks in advance of any help that may be offered.

Member #
    Liked
    3682 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Modern batteries (li ion) are more robust and can be left plugged in if you prefer. Modern charging blocks are supposed to sense draw and not over charge. The combination of the two means that you can leave your device plugged in all the time if you wish and will probably not degrade the life of the battery any differently than if you were careful to only plug in when needed. The biggest killer on batteries is just the number of charge/disharge cycles they can take. It's a fixed number and after a a year or two, they lose capacity.

As a rule of thumb, a heavily used smarthphone (one that is discharged fully and charged fully each day) will suffer battery degradation within 2 years. Exposure to heat exacerbates this. Modern devices do not have user replaceable batteries so your concern is warranted.

If it were my tablet, I would leave plugged in, unplug when I wanted to, and use it without fear. Know that you plugging or unplugging is not going to impace the battery much one way or the other. It's the total time you use it which affects the total number of charge/discharge cycles.

Use the tablet and enjoy. If the battery fails down the road, just replace the tablet.
    condor97 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    other
    Thank you for your very comprehensive reply spodoc, it is very much appreciated.

I will use it and enjoy it. Thank you.
    condor97 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3682 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    As a middle aged person with kids in high school now, I'm realizing time is what is valuable. I'm trying more to enjoy my time and not stress over things. My reply probably has that vibe to it. If the tablet enhances your time here on Earth use it. Plug it in or don't. Set it down when you have better things to do. The battery will be fine.

Peace
    condor97 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    other
    Yes spodoc, time is indeed very valuable. The same with family really, you really do have to enjoy them while you can and are able. Time flies by so very quickly and you notice it more as you and your family grow older. I have grandchildren whose ages range from 18 months to 27 years and, when you recall holding the 27 year old in your arms at birth, you do think, where on earth have those years gone!

Thanks again for your help, people like you are worth their weight in gold. Us old fogies would be lost without you.
    condor97 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3682 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    All about family. Blessed to marry a Hispanic woman who taught me that.
    condor97 likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads