Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Question about how internal memory and sd card work on S3

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Question about how internal memory and sd card work on S3

Hello all,

This is going to be a confusing question, mainly because i don't really know what I'm talking about lol.

Long story short, i have a Droid X currently. My micro sd card is completely full(it is a 16G card). I didn't realize until recently that everything on my X went to the SD card. I thought at least the pictures went to the phone, but after trying to take a pic without the SD card in, it would not let me. So basically I'm trying to figure out how having 32 gigs of internal memory and having my 16 gig sd card is going to work on the S3.

Like say i download a song onto the S3's internal memory, but then i also have the music files on my sdcard. When i go to the music player will all those files show up in the music player, or is there something special you have to do? I was hoping all i had to do was place the sdcard in the s3, and all of my files regardless if there on the internal memory or not would all show up in the same place.

Another issue i had with my X is that pictures always show up twice in the gallery, if you look at the files there is only ONE file, but it shows up twice on my phone, i tried to figure out what the problem was on the droidx forums, but never found the what the problem was lol. I just hope it doesn't do that on the S3!

Thanks everyone! lol

Member #
    Liked
    52 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Hey Kraven, I bet some of your ex "X" users here will be able to help you out with your picture questions.

As far as the SD card issues: you should be able to tell the phone where to store your pictures from the camera app. My D3 allows me to do that.
    As far as seeing double pictures, I would suggest you to download your external SD card to your computer and format the sd card with the pc and not the phone format option. This way you will start with clean card again.
    I use a card reader to pull off files and also format my sd card.

I am not familiar with the S3 yet, but I would think the S3 would see your pictures without any issues. Hopefully some of our S3 users and DX users here will drop in with a better explaination than I can give at the moment.

Have a great day!

DeJa vu

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    DebianDog
    Well I do not have my S3 yet but I do still have the X. I have never seen "double pictures" in the gallery. I you sure they are not on there twice? If you are sure I would wipe the cache in Settings -> Applications-> Manage Applications

I am interested to see how this works too being everything internal on the X is system or app related. My plan is to make sure to copy the SD card contents to my PC. Format the SD card on the phone then just bring over the data I want on the new phone.

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    All of your applications will be downloaded to your default internal card. You cannot move apps2sd without rooting.

Your music can be stored on the external which your music players will automatically detect.

When you launch the camera app it will inform you that it has detected an external sdcard and ask you which one you wish to use for saving photos. Download QuickPic from the marekt . It is a better gallery!
    Sent from my GT-I9300
    Debian Dog, CR6 and da2zoe like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks everyone for the replies! You all rock!

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    DebianDog
    I have not used this dup detector app but it seems to work if the reviews don't lie.

Edit: I downloaded and ran it. Not the prettiest thing but it did find and old backup directory I had forgotten about since Dec LOL
    Last edited by Debian Dog; 07-02-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    All of your applications will be downloaded to your default internal card. You cannot move apps2sd without rooting.

Your music can be stored on the external which your music players will automatically detect.

When you launch the camera app it will inform you that it has detected an external sdcard and ask you which one you wish to use for saving photos. Download QuickPic from the marekt . It is a better gallery!
    Sent from my GT-I9300
    Should I wait for the jellybean update before rooting?

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Twitter
    DebianDog
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthieone View Post
    Should I wait for the jellybean update before rooting?
    Well with 16 GB or 32 GB I cannot think of any good reason to move apps to the SD card.

We are looking at the 4th quarter before a JB update can you wait that long?

Member #
    Re: Duplicate pics in your gallery: You can create a blank file and name it ".nomedia" without the quotes. Whatever folder you place it in, any media will not show up in your gallery.

Member #
    Liked
    310 times
    Twitter
    BrownstotheBone
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post

Sent from my GT-I9300
    So just to be clear.. (I also have an X)

Copy the contents of the SD card to your PC to save.

Format the card (with the PC)

The app folders from the X are basically worthless as the apps will be freshly downloaded to the GS3. (some app data like my car maintenance/gas mileage info may be transferable later)

The pictures and music can obviously be moved manually onto the new card once it's been formatted and the phone sets up the new folders.

I guess the thing I'm most in question of is all the apps (bought/not bought) and their migration to my new phone. I take it it's a Google sync thing with the play store? Never been down this road before.
    Last edited by BrownstotheBone; 07-02-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads