Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Reigster at Galaxy S3 Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Fix for GPS Signal Issues

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazonfemme View Post
    One of the most frequent complaints about the Galaxy S3 is that it loses GPS signal -- or that there's no signal lock at all. That "Searching for GPS..." message is the bane of many S3 users' existence. And many of the fixes -- such as clearing AGPS, downloading GPS Status and Toolbox, turning on Wi-Fi -- only work temporarily, if at all.

Bizarrely, there's a very simple solution that works for most (though not all) of the people who've tried it: tightening the screws on the back of the phone. As explained in this XDA post, tightening the screws strengthens the connection between the GPS antenna and the GPS chip connector.

Here's what you do:

1. Power the phone off and remove the battery cover.
    2. Pop out the battery (you can also remove the SIM card and the SD card, just to be safe).
    3. Using a really small Phillips head screwdriver (like the PH#000 size from this kit), give a clockwise turn to each of the screws that line the perimeter. Go slowly! Don't overtighten, but do be firm. And pay extra attention to the screw at the top left of the phone -- that's where the GPS antenna is located.
    4. Reinsert the battery (and the SIM and SD cards, if you removed them).
    5. Replace the battery cover and boot up the phone.

Here's a pic that shows the location of all the screws. The one with the additional blue circle is where the antenna is:

Attachment 6057

I did this back in early March and haven't had a problem with my GPS since. It locks on instantly, stays locked, and only drops if I'm in a tunnel.

Hopefully this will help some of the folks who are still wrestling with GPS issues.
    Well I'm thrilled this is working for people. I saw this "fix" months ago and tried it and many other fixes. Sometimes I get GPS lock other times I do not. I've hunted for the real fix for this problem since December 2012 and have come to the conclusion that the only fix has to come from Google. Google knows this is not a specific cell carrier problem, they know it's not a specific Android phone problem and they know is it not a specific Android version problem.

June 2012 Daniel M. Community Manager, Google Maps started a Google thread under Google maps asking for input on this very problem. Unfortunately the thread is now 21 pages deep with people reporting the problem. There are at least 10 other threads in Google forums with people asking about this problem as well. Daniel M has remained completely silent on this issue since he first asked for input.

Member #
    Liked
    1224 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Quote Originally Posted by razingkane View Post
    Well I'm thrilled this is working for people. I saw this "fix" months ago and tried it and many other fixes. Sometimes I get GPS lock other times I do not. I've hunted for the real fix for this problem since December 2012 and have come to the conclusion that the only fix has to come from Google. Google knows this is not a specific cell carrier problem, they know it's not a specific Android phone problem and they know is it not a specific Android version problem.

June 2012 Daniel M. Community Manager, Google Maps started a Google thread under Google maps asking for input on this very problem. Unfortunately the thread is now 21 pages deep with people reporting the problem. There are at least 10 other threads in Google forums with people asking about this problem as well. Daniel M has remained completely silent on this issue since he first asked for input.
    Blergh. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. You'd think Google (or whoever is responsible) would have addressed this by now.

Member #
    Liked
    10017 times
    Device
    other
    There were issues with GPS on the S1 too. I must be one of the fortunate ones as I've always had great/fast GPS locks with both models.:sly:

tap'n

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    Device
    International GT-I9300
    I managed to get this result indoors which I was a little surprised about, but then most of the GPS I've used in the past have been a little older.
    spodoc likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3717 times
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Nice!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    A strange thing is happening.

My S3 has "North" and "South" reversed???

I have to be facing directly West for the coordinates to line up. As the phone rotates, the North-South poles "flip" and the compass is off considerably. Went out and bought a compass to compare it to and once the phone moves off "true-west" the phone goes out of whack.

How is this fixable? I can't find anything on this.

Thanx everyone.
    Last edited by SaintlySins; 11-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Gregory

Member #
    Liked
    10017 times
    Device
    other
    I believe you inadvertently entered through a tear in the time/space continuum. Proceed with caution.
    (Yeah, sorry....I got nothin!)

tap'n

Member #
    Thanks a ton

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    6006 times
    Twitter
    FaithFamilyTech
    Device
    United States SCH-I535
    Welcome to the forum, squeaks!
    When I'm not hanging out here I'm blogging at http://www.faithfamilyandtechnology.com/

Member #
    Placing a small aluminum "L" shaped foil at the back (between the flash and the screw on its left) where the gps antenna is, also helps.
    Just make sure it does not touch any of the screws or metal part.

This is also applicable for the main antenna.
    Got an 11 point increase on my signal strength after doing this.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Ads